Pages

April 23, 2013

Politics And Poker


Growing up on Long Island, NY, we were only about 20 minutes away from NYC. Both my parents were from Brooklyn. Every year they would spend their anniversary in Manhattan going to various musicals and dining out every night. In order to decide what shows they wanted to see, my mom would buy LP's of the latest shows and listen to the songs ... over and over and over. My wife is amazed that I can still sing along with so many Broadway musicals from the 50's and 60's. It's like they're etched on my brain.

I don't know how I got there, but today I ended up on a page that referred to the hit show, "Fiorello!", that opened in 1959 and played until 1961. Believe it or not, Tom Bosley had the lead role. The show was about political corruption in New York City in the 1930's when Fiorello LaGuardia was mayor.

So without further ado, here are the two greatest songs from Fiorello!, both of which deal with political corruption, "Politics and Poker" and "Little Tin Box." Enjoy the lyrics, they are really special.




2 comments:

Doom said...

I don't know, but I've got to think that impresses her even more than she might let on. Something about musicals and women, it itches some scratch in their imaginative lives where life is rosy, or at least more expressive... or some such, unlike how men run the world, or the world is with or without us?

While definitely a staunch man type, I do feel for women. I know that I am sparse in this area. Culture? Hmmm, a movie? Strength and certainty are fine, but... to sing these like a bird... Well, I hope your wife appreciates her mother-in-law's efforts. :)

sig94 said...

Doom - it's just that she played them all the time. For years. We played them on a B&W TV console with a radio on one side and a record player on the other.