Pages

June 18, 2014

Rehab Is Progressing Nicely

It's been a week since the knee surgery and my recovery is proceeding well. I took the six month period between knee operations to strengthen my legs and it has paid off handsomely. I still need to use a cane but I took a walk down the block his morning. There is still a long way to go before I can say I am fully healed - it takes about a year for that - but my therapist says that I am way ahead of the curve compared to my last surgery. The last dressing comes off next Monday but the support hose stays on for another four to five weeks.

My goal is venison. Only five months to go.
Can't wait to ge back into the woods.

Also found a family in our new church that runs a beef farm. They are harvesting this September and I got my order in for a quarter steer. They're all grass fed, no chemicals, no growth hormones. It should average out from about $3 to $4 a pound, that includes butchering and wrapping. My SIL ordered a half cow; with six mouths in the family that'll be about 220 to 245 pounds of beef or thereabouts.

7 comments:

Kid said...

Sig, You may end up with some Wagyu quality beef?

Doom said...

Fool me once, on the leg. Good to associate with folk who choose not to be fooled twice. Hunter boy. :)

Yeah, I'm... planning on getting beef that way, need to order another hog while I'm at it too. Would like to find sheep that way. I live in the right area, just fear that cost sting. But... up front then done. Just juggling everything, financially, is sort of a new trick, but... I think doable. Home ownership requires one to... grow up a bit, innit?

Keep up the good work. I'll want pictures of your kill(s)! Or at least the hunt if... the game plays a better hand. It happens.

sig94 said...

The first time I tasted free range beef I could not believe the difference in flavor. I always thought that people were exaggerating ... shame on me. And to think we gave up all of that beefy goodness so they could harvest a steer a few months earlier!

Fredd said...

I am clueless as to free range beef: never tasted it. But I love my store bought rib eyes and top sirloin steaks. Hunting is not my thing. Been on several deer hunts, helped field dress one, gut bags are not my idea of a good time.

Where can I find this free range stuff near Chicago?

WoFat said...

First comes habbing, then rehabbing.

Gorges Smythe said...

Glad to hear you're healing well. I don't have a freezer, since I don't have a generator. If I ever get the two, I' may start buying beef that way, too.

TS/WS said...

Good to hear the operations went well.
Yea, bringing in the vitiles is a rewarding thing.
Grew up hunting and fishing and planting and harvesting for survival; not a rich economie back in the day.
When I moved to the big city, and told the story at parties of my childhood of slopping the hogs an feeding the chickens then catching the scool bus all before 6am---everyone exclaimed - NAW/NO WAY.
We raised hogs and when taken to slaughter, traded some for the ranchers beef--no such thing as not range fed, back then, out in the sticks.