Pages

June 3, 2010

Good-bye, Sweet America


WASHINGTON – The nation's capital always draws its share of protesters, picketing for causes ranging from health care reform to immigration policy.

But spelling bee protesters? They're out here, too.

Four peaceful protesters, some dressed in full-length black and yellow bee costumes, represented the American Literacy Council and the London-based Spelling Society and stood outside the Grand Hyatt on Thursday, where the Scripps National Spelling Bee is being held.

Their message was short: Simplify the way we spell words.

Roberta Mahoney, 81, a former Fairfax County, Va. elementary school principal, said the current language obstructs 40 percent of the population from learning how to read, write and spell.

"Our alphabet has 425-plus ways of putting words together in illogical ways," Mahoney said.

The protesting cohort distributed pins to willing passers-by with their logo, "Enuf is enuf. Enough is too much."

(More...)

14 comments:

Right Wing Extreme said...

WTF!?! Grate, let's dum down the populashun a litl mor.

Right Wing Extreme said...

p.s. I weep for our future.

Anonymous said...

I shudder at the thought of dumbing down education any more.

Opus #6 said...

Spanish is a much simpler language and follows rules way better than English. In CA we have already switched by half anyway....(sarcasm)

Anonymous said...

I keep looking for the Goomba News tagline. Is that Queen in the photo, er, foto?

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Enuf Nickie, I can't take it anymore.

Hoping the Blind Will See said...

We are in free fall as a country; I sure hope they have a soft place for us to land...

If November turns out badly, I think all could be lost. I hope people are making their plans now.

As for the world, I don't think we're in Kansas any longer, and I don't think we just fell down the rabbit hole. My friends, we have entered the "toilet zone"... er twilight zone.

How did we fall so far so fast? Insanity is a scary place.

Kid said...

I met a kid named Kwnce whose Mom agrees.

Krystal said...

This just makes me want to scream! What is WRONG with people?!

WoFat said...

Spelling protesters? Verminus ponks.

Teresa said...

Education hits a new low.

Phooey with those drat complicated words (sarcasm). Are we resorting to pussification of words now? No challenges for kids anymore? This is absurd.

Anonymous said...

@Opus

California has only half-way switched to Spanish?

When you say that Spanish follows rules way better than English, you must mean grammatical rules, correct?

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd

cbullitt said...

THe Kilr Bs wer a nise tuch.