Talk about timing. From the Daily Mail:Never fear. Obama. Schumer, Pelosi and Reid are writing legislation to outlaw the possession of ball bearings and pressure cookers.
Barack Obama's administration has cut the budget nearly in half for preventing domestic bombings, MailOnline can reveal.But there's plenty of tax dollars for fancy Presidential vacations, golf and White House Bieber concerts. But there's more. Apparently the government feels that saving money by cutting funds used to protect American citizens from terrorist bombings is just dandy, Those funds can instead be used for the following:
Under President George W. Bush, the Department of Homeland Security had $20 million allocated for preventing the use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) by terrorists working inside the United States. The current White House has cut that funding down to $11 million.
That assessment comes from Robert Liscouski, a former Homeland Security Assistant Secretary for Infrastructure Protection, in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15 that killed three Americans and injured at least 173 others.
He told MailOnline that the Obama-era DHS is, on the whole, about as well-positioned as it was during the Bush administration to handle the aftermath of the April 15 bombings in Boston, 'but the Obama administration has continued to cut the budget for offices such as the Office for Bombing Prevention from $20 million started under Bush, to $11 million today.'
- $750,000 on a new soccer field for detainees held at Guantanamo Bay.
- $16,000,000 to help students Indonesian get master’s degrees.
- $175,587 to see if cocaine makes Japanese quail engage in sexually risky behavior.
- $200,000 to remove tattoos in Mission Hills, California.
- $3,000,000 for the University of California for research on video games such as World of Warcraft.
- $615,000 to the University of California for digitizing photos, T-shirts and concert tickets belonging to the Grateful Dead.
- $2,000,000 to train Chinese prostitutes to drink responsibly.
- $239,100 to study how Americans use the Internet to find love.
Today the OBP describes its mission as 'enhanc[ing] the Nation’s ability to prevent, protect against, respond to, and mitigate the terrorist use of explosives against critical infrastructure, the private sector, and Federal, State, local, tribal, and territorial entities.'So sorry, marathons are not part of our mission, all that running confuses us. It is so much easier to go after Christians. They don't move around so much and low hanging fruit is the sweetest.
Its website says it works to 'coordinate national and intergovernmental bombing prevention efforts' and 'enhance counter-IED capabilities.'
But little is known about what role OBP actually plays in attempting to prevent bombings at public events that could be considered target-rich environments.
H/T to the Real Revo