Pages

August 25, 2009

'The fault, dear Barack, is not in our stars, But in ourselves'

Victor Davis Hanson at The Corner wonders whether the Blue-Chip Obama brand has been tarnished.
"Take away the rhetoric and charisma, and this same absence of preparation, professional research, and focused public defense seems to apply to almost everything Obama has offered, from more stimulus and more deficit spending to cash for clunkers and cap and trade."
Liberal columnists decrying the Obama administration’s supposed lack of partisan fortitude and eagerness for a nasty fight for health care seem oddly detached from reality. The opposition to Obamacare would have gone nowhere had the president offered a concise plan, had his team kept repeating four or five logical and easily understandable talking points, and had he prepared a few pat answers to the more controversial elements of the plan, from the public option to so-called “end of life” panels to treatment of illegal aliens and the real cost.

Instead, Obama and his advisers, in lazy fashion, outsourced the plan to the partisan left-wingers of the Democratic party who are key House chairs. They in turn offered up a 1,000-page legalese mess, which the administration’s key players never read, and which Obama arrogantly thought he could wing through in a few weeks with his “hope and change” / “trust me” cadences.

Once a few citizens at town halls started to call them on it, it quickly became clear not just that Obama’s health-care reform was an effort to emulate in the long run the failed Canadian system, but far more importantly, that none of its defenders were able to explain, much less defend, the plan.

(More...)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is every one? Is there some door prize for the second comment or something?

Speaking of the second coming, it's interesting to me that people are surprised at all what a total buffoon a true leftist looks like when asked to run something.

Obama's falling on his face should come as no surprise. I didn't think it would get this bad this fast, to be fair, but who could be surprised?

Rhod said...

This isn't a case of the emperor having no clothes, it's a case of the clothes having no emperor.

The guy is a pampered BS artist and nothing more.

RightKlik said...

This is what happens when you elect a president with no previous executive experience. Hillary would have been better.

Barking Spider said...

As I always say, the Left have no logical answers or reasoned debate - their policies are all based on ill-conceived ideological dogma. I also expected Obarmy to fall flat on his face like Tony Blair, (it's a relief that this has already happened), but for it to happen so quickly is a real bonus.

Anonymous said...

DC, I too am surprised at the speed. I actually expected the wheel to begin falling off some time during his second term. What's the shelf life on this guy?

Anonymous said...

Rhos, it's enjoyable when you begin to see the snippy resentful side of him coming through.

Anonymous said...

Klikky, I can't remember when we've had so many candidates who've never held real private sector jobs.

Anonymous said...

Spiderman, it's wonderful too see how badly he misjudged his own charisma.

Anonymous said...

Who do I complain to at this blog? How come Rhod's 'Bot is not on his comment? I object.

And Right Klik, to me, I don't think it's a matter of executive experience. The guy's a radical. That's the real problem. I think his life experience is more of the issue. A rifleman would be good as president, even w/o "executive experience". Rhod?

Rhod said...

I dunno, DC. Obama's a righteous schoolboy. He's fascinated by movements, by revolution. His goal isn't management, it's about making reality look like the models.

Guys like him are usually nuts. It's better if they're incompetent, which he certainly is.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I was nominated you to the the next president of the United States.

I take it by your comment that you accept.

Anonymous said...

Ahem ... I was nominating ...

Rhod said...

I wondered if that's what you meant. Goomba as press secretary, you for Defense, Opie for glamor, LL for CIA, Wetzy for Education, Rhiney for laughs...this could work.

Anonymous said...

What does a Glamour Secretary do? Read headlines on Fox?

I don't know. We might have to get Opie a real job, like Haiku presenter ...

Gigantic

Here Rhod is between

Fall near. Goomba still sweating.

He's big. DC's good.

Anonymous said...

Let me wipe this tear away. I'm overwhelmed.

Opus #6 said...

Glamour? Sure, I accept. I can be the glamorous Haiku presenter.

DC, you know I'm not shy about leaving the first comment. I see it as my civic duty.

Anonymous said...

Civic dity. I feel the same way about never wearing shoes without socks.