Pages

December 8, 2009

Goomba-Bubba Summit: A Pictorial Essay

SAN FRANCISCO -- We knew the Left wouldn't be expecting the GBS to be held here, so we could talk in private (and with no protesters). With two conservative blogging titans in town, it was somewhat akin to Bush flying into Baghdad under cover of darkness -- a grand plan designed to lift the morale of conservative bloggers everywhere.



On the morning of the Goomba-Bubba Summit, fog rolled in from the Bay, per usual.



Flags unfurled on a breezy, cold morning ...




I took to the streets in search of Goomba, who told me simply to look for the first German bar I could find. He would be wearing some sort of unique hat, he said. It was just like him, but fortunately I am both an an experienced land navigator and investigator.




Pretty city. I couldn't find a taqueria, though.



I found evidence of the quaint celebration of Christmas past. Very beautiful tree.



We're not in Texas, any more.




Right next to the California bear stood Old Glory.



Assuming I could find him, I had to stop in here so I could pay for lunch.



Evidence of decaying infrastructure was everywhere ... as seen in these cracking streets.



Wow, I wondered if that was it. I think it must be. It was the only German place I could find.



Upon meeting Nick, I was overcome with joy. I found the man in the hat. But he was much taller in person than I expected.



Inside our summit location ... We covered a lot of ground here and made this a place to be remembered.



Nick was kind enough to take me back to the airport. On the way back, there was a stalled truck on the freeway. If you look at the sign, it says (no kidding) that "this truck uses alternative fuel." We looked at each other, laughed for a long while, and then decided ... that was put here by God for us to post about.



On the street ... these two characters were found charging women passing by to take their picture. One guy insisted that every one have on their favorite team gear. The girls just squealed and loved it. These guys made $3.27 in just two hours.



Leaving the beauty of the bay ...



As my plane banked back to the east, I was glad I had done something I had wanted to do since 2004 -- meet the Great Goomba. I thought of his plane heading for Israel tomorrow ... and I prayed for him.


So, at the summit, we decided: 1) We are glad for and amazed at the power of the internets; 2) We are grateful for this blog to vent, inspire, and inform, and we enjoy the banter with all of you; 3) Nick is going to come to Texas to visit the Cutter clan; 4) God has blessed us both in unique ways over the course of some twisting trails and trying travails; and 5) Most importantly, we love each other.

Talk to you again, soon, my brother.

24 comments:

CI-Roller Dude said...

Mark Twain said: "the coldest winter I ever saw was a summer in San Francisco."
Did you get some sour dough bread?
I was just down there this weekend to visit our National Guard HQ for the Christmas party.

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Oh those poor cameras ... I'm glad you two got to meet. I see years of fun ahead.

Teresa said...

Awesome pics!! That is wonderful that you two were able to meet.

Anonymous said...

Dude,

I did get some sourdough to bring home to the Cutter Clan ... and some Ghiradelli chocolates ... the whole deal.

Was actually in the 30s in the a.m..

Wood and Teresa, yes, was a grand time. We spoke specifically of you two ... and came up with an action plan.

LL said...

It's disconcerting that two conservative internet giants would meet in the heart of Pelosi territory. I can only hope you got your shots before you descended into the heart of darkness.

However, if your face feels as if it's turning to wood and your lips grow disproportionately to the rest of your face and you wake, screaming CAP and TRADE -- and you feel a strange attraction to the same gender, you'll know that the shots didn't take.

Anonymous said...

LL, we did what we had to do for the team. We knew that you would understand. Plus, it was the greatest trick play since, well, something Joe Willie pulled. Can't remember.

It was a great time.

T. F. Stern said...

Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't that last picture supposed to have the caption, "Luke, I'm your father, together we can..." lol

Rhod said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Very good, Stern ... May the force be with you, too!

maddie said...

I thought it was just our village under Milk Wood that gets enveloped in fog like that. Mizzle, we call it.

Unknown said...

As I see images of the Goomba-Bubba Summit in San Francisco I am filled with mixed emotions. Joy at seeing conservatives thriving in the liberal Mecca. Sorrow at how disappointing the 9ers season has been.

Anonymous said...

Trestin, yes ... some things can change (conservatives advancing on SF). Others cannot (49ers).

CI-Roller Dude said...

For those citizens not from SF, CA area.
San Francisco is the only place like it in the world--- thank God. It is the "City and County of SF."
Those of us from other parts of the "Bay Area" call it the City and Planet of SF"
It's ok to visit, but none of us would want to live there. The current mayor is the biggest asshole in the world, and they are not concerned with the 2nd Admend of the US Constitution....

rLn! said...

It's good to see your faces at last! i wonder about bloggers who don't display the faces GOD graced them with...

Anonymous said...

CI-Dude, I hear you ... exactly. But it is still fun to visit. I think there is a Starbucks on every corner, so it can't be all bad.

rln, yes, i guess you could say that ... "graced" with our faces? Ha.

Left Coast Rebel said...

I'm jealous too, it looks like you too had a lot of fun. Who is who though, I am confused!

Anonymous said...

Ah, LCR ... I am the good-looking Texas fan. If I have confused you, then I have spread the Goomba dust appropriately.

nanc said...

That last guy is HOT! *;]

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Nanc.

Opus #6 said...

The last guy is indeed HOT.

And DC, I have grown accustomed to your avatar over the months. Thank you for being brave enough to post your pic for our viewing pleasure. Excellent!

Unknown said...

How fun! It sure was fun trekking along with you!

Anonymous said...

Pam, glad you enjoyed it, dear. It was a blast and very rewarding.

Opie, I thought you would be mad that I didn't post my picture. Actually I took the shot of Nick and his friend panhanling in SF. Oh, well ...

LandShark 5150 said...

DC -- okay here's the deal. When the Texas summit is called to order, I for one would love to attend. Being from the little ol' state, the town of the cow, I'll buy the first night rounds of margaritas. Would love to meet you guys. sharky

Anonymous said...

Shark,

Will keep you posted. To get on the guest list, send an email to dcutter-at-gmail-dot-com.