Pages

October 28, 2009

Most Odious Words/Phrases in the English Language: #4

Number 4 is a dastardly phrase often used by politicians before plunging into some crazy act of "political courage". Look upon it ... lo, it is difficult, yea, but this knowledge may save your hide:

"The people sent us here to get something done" -- When a legislator says this (Note: When they use "American People" in the phrase, it's a Daily Double), here is what he is really saying: "Please, please give me a break. After all, what about 'Bipartisanship'? Don't you understand these relentless Democrats are pressuring me and I am having a hard time saying 'no.' Plus, isn't doing something better than nothing? I am not sure, for I am but a cowardly RINO. I think you need to hit me. Please do."

Let me tell you something. The thought of this Congress doing absolutely nothing sounds great right about now.

And ... notice that Obama and Co. aren't about to argue that they were elected to get something done in Afghanistan. Plenty of time and no need to rush and just do something. Only time to rush and/or "just do it" is if the "it" is advancement of the Left's agenda.

12 comments:

rocslinger said...

You hit that one out of the ball park. I generally feel better when congress does nothing, they've done enough already.

Rhod said...

Getting something done. I'm in favor of the Congressional Defenestration Act of 2009.

Writer X said...

It's made cringe-worthy worse when a senator tacks on that annoying phrase, "My friends" a la John McCain.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Roc. I looked at your sign. Funny ... a disco fan from ye olden days, I surmise.

Rhod, I think that is due to get passed in 2010. Let's hope. Had to look it up, of course, but now I get your point.

X, no question. Since McC is history, I didn't put him or any of his verbal gas in here. But just so you know, "My Friends" (when said my McCain) means "I have no friends, but humor me."

I love being Right said...

Usually the 'people' they are talking about are their liberal friends with fat wallets not the majority of the American people.

But I know (they think)they know what is best for us.

Doom said...

Keep up the good work. Somebody does have to do it. Thankfully, you were not merely elected or appointed and you probably aren't getting paid. Will kudos suffice?

I never did say congrats to Opus (and you all), when she became a part of the team. I didn't see a right spot, so I am making one. Congratulations Opus!

el chupacabra said...

Maybe it would be a good idea if every year congress was mandated to review ridiculous, redundant, harmful and outdated laws and vote to repeal a certain percentage of those submitted for review.
Their time devoted for this could be 90% of what they normally spend passing ridiculous, redundant, harmful and outdated laws then they would only have 10% of the time they would normally have to do good things since they're too busy to get bored and do harmful things.

Anonymous said...

ILBR, I didn't consider those "people". Good point.

Chup, outstanding idea. Believe me, they could stay busy a long time just undoing crap.

And Doom ... appreciate your comments. I am still haggling with Nick for a 100% increase over my old gig. We'll see, but yes ... the fact that I do this for love of God and country frees me up to just say what is on my mind and heart. If smart folks like yourself are reading, then that is plenty enough compensation.

Now, before we get all misty-eyed, you haven't seen my last three. I might step on some toes. What are they going to do ... cut my pay? Exactly.

Thanks, again.

Anonymous said...

Now that you've mentioned it, DC, things are getting tighter around the Goomba household (besides my pants) and we're gonna be cutting back on some of the office perks.

It's not a layoff per se but, on Monday, your desk will have been moved into the abandoned PhotoMat building in the parking lot in back of the defunct Hank Snow Biskit 'n Gravy Shack. You'll have a window.

Anonymous said...

For the sake of the company, I'll work with it: "Drive By Rants"

LL said...

Caption:

Harry Prays to Obama for the healthcare public option to pass. Will B. Hussein hear his prayer?

Starsplash said...

yup Bipartisnship. Definately a trecherous word.