Pages

September 7, 2010

Gotta Know When to Holder And When To Folder

This morning as I walked out the door of my fashionable, up-scale English Tudor home, I nearly tripped over a large parcel wrapped in damp newspaper left ominously in the middle of my Mediterranean flagstone walkway. Examining the parcel, I noticed that it smelled of Hai Karate and cheap Lambrusco. Inside the package were several used ticket stubs to "Man of La Mancha," a heavily stained white wedding dress and a half-eaten cannoli. Glancing quickly around I spied a shiny black 1961 Rambler American parked down the street; it was deliberately blocking the handicapped access ramp cut into the granite corner curbing.

"Goomba!" I cried aloud.

And once again I find myself drawn back into the mystery and intrigue that is the Goomba News Network. True to form, later that afternoon I received, via courier, a blank envelope containing a single piece of paper with the name, Eric Holder, scrawled upon it in Rhod's handwriting.

I can take a hint.

ICE agency report puts serious dent in Eric Holder’s DOJ case against Sheriff Joe Arpaio

On Thursday Eric Holder and the Department of Justice filed suit against Arizona’s Maricopa County Sheriff’s office run by the outspoken and flamboyant Joe Arpaio who’s made it a personal crusade to uphold U.S. immigrations laws when the feds won’t.

Maybe Sheriff Joe and a hundred or so of his deputies should illegally enter the Justice Department; you know, just doing the jobs that the feds don't want to do.

Back in March of 2009 the DOJ informed sheriff Arpaio that a probe was underway to investigate what the DOJ claimed were “alleged patterns or practices of discriminatory police practices and unconstitutional searches and seizures.” This is where things get sticky for Eric Holder and the Obama Administration.

Six months prior to this investigation the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) had already conducted its own investigation of sheriff Arpaio’s office and not only gave it a clean bill of health, they actually gave a raving review. The report said things like “The OI and DRO supervisors consider the conduct and performance of the MCSO … officers to be professional and meeting the requirement of the MOA.” And that they considered the working relationship between the feds and the sheriff’s office to be “excellent” and that cases brought by the sheriff’s office to be “high quality.”

So Holder decides to launch a full-blown federal investigation of a local agency that months before endured and passed an exhaustive investigation by another federal agency regarding the same kind of allegations. This action comes almost on the heels of another Holder faux paswhere he blatantly declines to prosecute a slam dunk case of voter intimidation perpetrated by the Black Panthers. Prosecutorial discretion does not begin to cover this incredibly poor exercise of judgement.

To make matters worse, or better depending on your POV, Sheriff Joe had his lawyers file a FOIL request which uncovered an email:

[...] that was sent just after the Justice Department investigation was announced, from an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency employee to John P. Torres who was at the time the acting assistant secretary of ICE. The email said: “Did you see this?” attaching a news report on the investigation. “Yes,” Torres responded a few minutes later. “Interesting politics at play.”

Mr. Torres was very charitable. Of all the language that comes to mind that could have described Mr. Holder's actions, "interesting" was not the first word I would have used. I was thinking more along the lines of "criminal," or "official misconduct," or "Leavenworth."


I love Sheriff Joe's tailor.

18 comments:

Toaster 802 said...

I was thinking more along the lines of public trial, fascist, thug, National mall and gibbet.

sig94 said...

Toaster - that works for me. Just insert humiliation, disgrace, financial ruin and burial in Kenya between "thug" and "National.",

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Stay under their saddle blanket Sheriff Joe.

Kid said...

Is there anyone ever in high public office or even the middle management of a 50k a year toy company who is more feckless and incompetent than eric holder.

No.

sig94 said...

Odie - nothing like a burr under the blanket to get someone's attention.

sig94 said...

Kid - incompetent, yes. Corrupt, no.

Subvet said...

"I love Sheriff Joe's tailor."

They say pink is the new black.

sig94 said...

Subvet - I just heh heh dang....

JihadGene said...

When we get to the bottom of this... Big Oil heads will roll!

Kid said...

Sig, incompetent not corrupt..

Anonymous said...

Holder seems to me like someone always willing to lick the biggest boot.

Anonymous said...

Sig... I'm offended by the Hai Karate slam. I'm an English Leather kinda guy. In fact, the bottle of Jade East I swiped from DC's guest bathroom remains unsplashed.

The Dark Fury said...

This is so funny!!!! They are still blaming Bush two years after he left office and four years of a Democratic controlled Congress...unbelievable! Sorry, but at this point the Democrats are responsible for the situation in this country. They own it now.

Anonymous said...

Jade East! This has got to be the highest median age of any group of bloggers out there. Good grief. (Slap!!) "Thanks, I needed that."

sig94 said...

DC - that's scary. I need to lie down now.

sig94 said...

Nickie - I still have the massive "wooden" cap from my last bottle of EL. Until my oldest daughter was 3 I used it for her bathtub.

Rhod said...

Sig, I've been away, so I missed your column. DC and I found Nick safe and secure in his...residence hotel...covered in strips of flypaper. He went out the transom at GNN (again) screaming (again) about being chased by tiny parrots.

Hey, it's been a while since we've been over and let us in. What's up?

sig94 said...

So glad to hear that Nick is still padding his travel allowance. I'll catch up with you and DC....