Pages

September 16, 2012

Hitting Them Where It Hurts

"Hey Mr. Editor! I can't give this shit away!"

I had an on-again, off-again relationship with the printed media for about thirty years. I would subscribe to the paper then cancel, re-up and cancel. The last straw was the Obama orgasm back in 2008. No more. Why should I pay to read lies about that worthless POS?

Apparently many others have reached the same decision and it has affected the print media right where it should - in their wallets. The following chart is from the Business Insider. It illustrates the industry's dwindling advertising revenues; I believe that as the media departed from reality, the dollars followed suite.

But then again:
Journalism professor Jay Rosen of NYU observes that the peak year was the one in which blogging software first appeared.
So, is it due to their Obama leg-humping and their constant drumbeat of leftist propaganda? You decide, but their profits seem to have started their precipitous fall right around 2008.

Looky here:



10 comments:

Libertarian Advocate said...

Its hard to imagine a more brutal indictment of the their feckless pandering. But all evidence indicates that they still don't "get it".

Gorges Smythe said...

I quit getting the local paper last year. It's owned by out-of-staters and follows the national lead. Now if folks would just quit watching the major networks.

Doom said...

For me, bias. Even before Fox was on the air I quite msm, seeking alternative sources. I miss having a paper, or even magazine. I personally think print was out long before advert money shows. They just inflated subscriptions and while business was good, business didn't look all that closely. Big money is lazy money.

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

It couldn't happen to a nicer group of people.

Subvet said...

I spent some time without the local fishwrap. As nice as it was I decided to restart my subscription, if for no other reason to get a feel for how bad it might be getting in Texas. Sometimes it's worse than when I lived in Connecticut. If it gets too bad I do the crossword puzzles, read the comics and Dear Abby, then go for a nap.

sig94 said...

Libertarian - It's like a crew on a sinking ship cutting a bigger hole in the hull.

sig94 said...

Gorges - our local paper just cut back delivery to three times a week. The bleeding continues and they refuse to apply a tourniquet.

sig94 said...

Doom - I quit the MSM in the mid 80's after the Seneca Arms Dept debacle. Two lesbos and a drooling Dr. Spock climbing over a barbed wire fence to be arrested by solicitous MP's who should have shoot them as soon as their wrinkled asses cleared the fence.

sig94 said...

Odie - that that nice group of people just got poorer too.

sig94 said...

Subvet - I hear ya. I used to like to read the paper first thing in the morning, but I hate to get all pissed off before I go to work.