Pages

September 2, 2009

A U.S. Senator with Game




Curt Schilling, he of the World Series "bloody sock" fame, is apparently considering a run for Ted Kennedy's former Senate seat. Schilling's a conservative Christian who openly campaigned for Pres. Bush during the playoffs and World Series in 2004.

While John Kerry was yelling "touchdown!" at Sox games and making Obama look like Cy Young with his first pitches during the '04 campaign, Schilling was winning minds and hearts with his courageous performance. Could Schill and Lerch soon be colleagues?

I think it would be outstanding to have Schilling in the Senate. After all, anything would be an improvement over Kennedy, but Schilling is actually an articulate guy. Plus, he would perhaps bring a little bit of "Mr. Smith" to the Senate. Can you imagine the tectonic shift in Washington of having the Kennedy seat go to a conservative Republican?

He'd be a formidable candidate, I think, in the current political climate. Even Barney Frank is getting heat at the town halls.

Plus, consider all the baseball verbiage Schilling could use, almost to the exclusion of all other typical political-speak. Also, when people say "huh?", Schilling could just say ... "Oh, well, you don't understand. I am a former MLB player. That's high-speed baseball lingo."

Here are some things that Schilling could "hit" right now:

1) That Barack Obama has no ... ba ... game;

2) That Bill Clinton, he cheated more than A-Rod;

2a) Bonus Clinton comment: That Bill Clinton could really lay down a squeeze;

3) That Joe Biden is not qualified to coach first base at Pawtucket;

4) That Obama Administration has more free-swingin' lefties than the Cuban national team. Come to think of it, they are the Cuban national team; and ...

5) That Michelle Obama has had more crazy uniforms than the Houston Astros, and I mean not even I could look good in those classic rainbows.

Okay, maybe I could. Maybe those were the most glorious uniforms ever. Maybe the Houston Astros rule the baseball universe, but I digress ... Michelle's colors do look similar to the 'Stros 'Bows, only they don't match as well. But any one could look good in these unis, especially me.

But I would look better in the Senate.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

He might have a chance if Frank Malzone and Yaz decide not to run.

How about Bill Buckner? He used to play in Fenway.

Anonymous said...

BTW, that is the best picture I've seen of you. I almost didn't recognize you without the lip sprouts.

I see you're talking to a camera. Was this after that whole Phillie Phanatic episode at the Vet?

Anonymous said...

Buckner is running as a Democrat. Weak on defense.

Anonymous said...

Bro, that is the Schill himself. He is a former Stro, and he wears the 'Bows with pride.

Anonymous said...

Only a friend could tell you this, compadre, but a man of your girth must avoid the horizontal stripes in the same way Dr. Dave avoids hyperbole, or The Kid avoids Big Band Swing.

Anonymous said...

Coming from my pinstripes-wearing mentor, I will take it on board, my liege.

Hey, is Dana Carvey covering the Tea Party Express on Fox?

Anonymous said...

Seriously? I don't have Cable TV so I can't check. Are you sure it's not Bush the Elder?

Anonymous said...

No, he looks like Garth without the wig and ritalin.

Opus #6 said...

I hope we get a nice batch of conservative candidates for 2010

Anonymous said...

Ope, I don't want a nice batch. I want a growling mean-spirited ready-to-rumble batch.

John McCain was nice. I've had enough nice. And we're not gonna defeat the Chicago Machine with nice.

Matt said...

I still cringe when I see those uniforms, but then again, I'm still a Pirate fan. Yeah, I know, they stink.

@ Nickie, I loved the comment about growling, mean spirited, ready to rumble. We need exactly that. They need to be able to communicate why though.

Anonymous said...

True, Matt. It won't do us much good if they just sputter and rant. I'm thinking of somebody like... well... uh...Ronald Reagan. (Sigh)

And I always preferred the old Colt .45s uniforms.

Red said...

The people of Massachusetts have got to want it.

Writer X said...

We miss Curt in Arizona. If he doesn't run for Kennedy's seat, I wish he'd run against McCain. He could probably win here, too.

Rhod said...

Kerry and Kennedy were mixed together in one massive liberal speedball for Massachusetts. They have Cadillac Deval and a broke, bare-bones universal health system, a demographic shift in the population toward immigrants, and a lot of pretty places for the top side on the income-inequality scale. The workers increasingly pay the bills and the unproductive are benefit blotters.

Why the hell would they elect a conservative. The place is a liberal paradise.

Writer X said...

Just curious, but how did Romney ever get elected in Mass as gov? Was the entire state on Valium on election day?

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

I hope Curt Schilling runs and wins in Massachusetts. It would be the most unsettling thing in the world to the Democratic Party if Ted Kennedy's seat were lost to the dark side.

Mwuahahahahahahahahaha!!!

T. F. Stern said...

You have the right attitude when you said, "I've had enough nice. And we're not gonna defeat the Chicago Machine with nice."

The country is in trouble because the folks we sent into the pit to fight turned out to be a bunch of...ooops I almost said something totally non PC, whussies will come close.

Anonymous said...

my fingers are crossed

Anonymous said...

Matt, if you want to dig deep and sling mud about unis, let us reflect on the Pirates in those "Family" duds. Stargell looked like he was dressed as a giant bumblebee on Halloween in that thing.

Re: nice, there's a distinction here that's important. Reagan was nice, but he was tough-minded. He was a conservative. The problem has not been personality; it's been core convictions.

Schilling would be great. Rhod, he can hypnotize them with pics of the bloody sock. A lot of Sox fans think you are grandfathered into all things Mass. and Kennedy if you played for the Sox.

Ted Williams could have been elected to anything in Massachusetts, and his first official act would have been to have Ted Kennedy prosecuted.

Anonymous said...

Nick, I agree with you about the .45s. Any uniform that features a pistol is outstanding.

Anonymous said...

Red, the people of Massachusetts want everything that belongs to me.

Anonymous said...

X, I've got a crusty wad of gum stuck to my dashboard that, with a few bucks, could beat McCain.

Anonymous said...

Rhod, is there something in the Constitution that mandates a Presidential candidate for President from Massachusetts in every damn election?

Anonymous said...

X, Romney may be a Republican, but he's no Conservative (any more than his father was).

Anonymous said...

Ignatius,

A photo of Teddy glued to bag of donuts would win the election by 500,000 votes.

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

One could HOPE!

Anonymous said...

TF, those MidWest mumbling Republicans are pissing me off as much as the Dems do.

And, wouldn't Obama love to make Olympia Snowe the de facto face of the Republican Party?

Anonymous said...

Mine too, INQ. It makes nose-picking almost impossible.

Anonymous said...

DC... prosecuted? Teddy Ballgame would have had him cut up for bait.