Pages

January 26, 2010

Goomba Nation ... a word with you

Greetings. I want to take a brief moment to let you all know that though I will still be hanging around these parts, you might not see as much of me over the next few months in terms of posts or comments. Real life beckons. It's one of the reasons I stopped blogging at the trailer park in the first place. Then, my brother Goomba lured me out of my hole. I am ever-grateful.

Now, with the fine team that St. Nick has assembled here, I am certain that things will rock along just swimmingly. I am really enjoying the contributions of all my fellow GNN staff, and I tip my Custer cover to you all, even if I need a translator/thesaurus/English prof-at-the-ready when Rhod writes.


You know, we bloggers are prone to thin-skinnedness and such (except for Goomba ... he has a thick, luxurious coat), so please, understand you're not getting the silent treatment if you don't hear from me, even if you write a scathing expose on my various girlfriends at Fox News. (My relationships there are a matter of public record, so bring it on.) All is well. So, if you stick it to me good or call Pres. GWB a pinko-commie, fear not. If I am occupied, God, or a drone made in Texas, will smite you.

But now, before I head back to the trailer to tend to my crops for the spring, let me say a few things, since we're all here:

We've made it to 2010 and survived while hanging by a thread politically in '09. Looking back, it was a marvelous year of rediscovering the engagement it takes for a nation to remain free. However, the real battle lies ahead, and it is not so much the 2010 elections (which I do think are important and require our focus and energy), but rather winning hearts and minds. Now, go forth and do so with good cheer.

The nation is in peril. Our economy is a mess, and there are no adults in charge of the government who have the good sense to allow Americans to work our way out of this. Worse yet, yes ... worse yet, our national security is in jeopardy. Just today, Obama got an "F" rating for bioterror preparedness. We've been attacked at Fort Hood, nearly lost an airliner ... and Obama's people are telling us that they are not up to the job. These are serious times.



One of the reasons I didn't go high and to the right (as some conservatives did) about President Bush's overspending -- spending that looks Scrooge-like now, by comparison -- was that I saw where we were in terms of national security, including the threats on the horizon and realized: If we're all dead, none of this matters. The Bush Administration made national security its first priority after 9/11. The results speak for themselves. On the other hand, Obama has made ramming an unwanted, disasterous health-care bill down the nation's throat ... while we are broke and at war ... his number one priority.

I miss Pres. Bush. I miss his integrity. I miss his love of our troops. I miss the fact that he understood that he was a steward of something so much greater than himself, indeed, a position and ideals so much higher than petty politics or grandstanding.

None of us know, for we can't see into the mind and soul of Pres. Obama, but I do wonder what he thinks about America in his heart of hearts. This I do believe: He sees the nation far differently than our last president.

The voting malfeasance of those on "our side" who allowed the Obama presidency to occur -- either through act or omission -- has put the nation in great danger. That we on the right might get political gains out of this doesn't matter at all to me.


As Americans, we should hold this truth to be self-evident: That the nation's security, health and welfare always trumps politics.

So ... go forth, be happy warriors, and make a difference in your own spheres of influence. I have written previously, and said many times, that our real work starts at home ... then works out to our neighborhoods, then to our towns and states, and so on.

This is the real work, and I would daresay that a life well-lived is far more persuasive and powerful than the most poignant prose.

God bless you all. See you around.


Semper Fidelis

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

DC, my blog brother... I'm looking forward to your return.

When May rolls around, we'll be gearing up to full speed for the sprint to November. Muscles will strain while spittle flies. I know we'll be taken by surprise when you quietly open the screen door on the back door. We'll all be gathered around the big table in the dining room. LL will be chewing on a ham sandwich. Rhod will be complaining about the temperature. Opus will be insisting that Sig and Toaster put shirts on.

There will be squeals of happiness when you appear through the kitchen. Our dearest family member will have returned from the hinterland. Hurry back, my friend, and be well.

Unknown said...

DC, be well.

WomanHonorThyself said...

good luck DC!..and come vis as often as ya can!:)

sig94 said...

The very, very best to you DC. Somehow it just won't be the same around here so please, drop by often. I really mean that.

And I was only kidding about the "cash crop" in your backyard. Everyone knows your exotic dancing is the real money maker.

Shirts? Ha! There's no way to tame these man-boobs. No way.

Rhod said...

When DC disappears for a while, he sets up an LP and spends his idle hours blowing up small mammals with his Claymores. He's always out there, so to speak, no matter what he says. Marine, you know.

DC, I know I'm pretetious and verbose, but an education usually helps figure a fool like me out. If books help you, that's okay.

I'll miss you. You, and maybe Goomba, are the conscience(s) of this blog, and we need a Jonathan Edwards or two to set a higher goal than I would scale by myself.
Opie is supposed to do that, because she's a broad, but she's overwhelmed by the flock of brutes on the masthead.

When you come back, maybe we can re-enact our battle over Harriet Meirs. Heh.

Take care of yourself, my friend

Toaster 802 said...

Well, I understand about the tending crop thing. I am going flat out come mud season to put in a large a garden as I can. At the new house. That we close on at the end of the month. Which has dial up service only.

After the first month there, I do not it will slow the blogging down any. But I am a blogging pup compared to DC, So GNN will suffer from a lack of his insight and biting wit.

Stay in touch often, even if it just to break my stones.

As for keeping my shirt on, not a chance. I paid good money for that tramp stamp and I am going to show that puppy off loud and proud!

Hope I didn't just make someone lose their dinner...

Rhod said...

DC is 96, Toast. Everyone is a blogging pup compared to him.

Velcro said...

Take care, DC, look forward to your return!

Anonymous said...

Like a bad penny, he'll be back. I'll count the days.