Pages

December 4, 2009

A Good Day Ahead ...

Greetings Goomba readers.

It is I, your GNN Southwest Correspondent reporting from Northern California. It’s been a while. It took me forever to make it through Customs. I think they have figured out that I come from a galaxy far, far away in many ways. But I jest, at least about the Customs part.

Life continues to surprise and amaze. Today there’s a good chance that my hometown of Houston will get dusted with its earliest snow ever. Meanwhile, “Climate-Gate” rages in some quarters. Those of us who knew all along that God was bigger than we imagined are not surprised. But we are amused. Yes, the Lord has a sense of humor. And mercy. And justice. And timing.

On this day when it appears I will miss an early and rare snow in Houston, I will be doing something even rarer and far more significant – finally laying my eyes on my old friend, Nickie Goomba. I love the guy like a brother, but we’ve never met. We’ve talked on the phone once – very briefly – a number of years ago. We’ve exchanged emails and, well, a lot of what you have seen on this blog and over at my old place.

I got the opportunity to combine some business out here with meeting my old friend. I look forward to hearing about what is going on in Nick’s life, and his upcoming trip to Israel. I will let you know (at a minimum) my general impressions of the meeting. I think it’s up to Nickie to give you the goods, though, if he wishes.

So, today is a good day indeed. I am going to take it in, and then get back on a plane to Texas. Nick heads to the Holy Land, and I go back to the Promised Land. If it’s not a movie, it’s at least a Country song waiting to be written.

This weekend, I will be watching the Longhorns try to make it to the BCS Championship, so happily I will be reflecting on the meeting with Nick and the Longhorns. It’s a great respite from trying to make sense of the misdeeds, miscreants, and malfeasance in Washington.

Finally, I want to encourage those of you out there who might be considering doing something that requires some risk to, well, get to it. Believe it or not, this former Marine spent a large part of his life missing opportunities that were right there for the taking. The rest of the way I am going to make the most of it.

So, let’s go …

See you next week.

8 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Even though I have met Nickie in person before, I will admit that I envy you this meeting. He is a man of exceptional wit and character. A true pleasure.

And I have never laid eyes on your photograph. Make sure to document the meeting by asking to waitress to take your picture together.

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Being the poor step child of this group, I feel I should not advertise such a meeting. One day I'll make a surprise hello.

Anonymous said...

Wood, don't be so hard on yourself. You are no stepson, but rather the favorite son of Nickie's third marriage.

Opie ... well, I don't know if I've ever broken this you, but I don't show up in mirrors and photos. Occupational hazard.

Eric Graff said...

As I stated on my blog two days ago, the facts are if man made global warming is a true, then man could fix it.

But these professors and professional people are out there selling this idea and the fact of the matter is, they are just like whores: Out there selling they’re academic souls for cash. They are hookers. Maybe worse than hookers because I’d have more faith the hooker could do something worthwhile for the money: That hooker isn’t trying to shut down free markets or cripple the economy or destroy industries here in the United States, she’s just trying to make her thirty bucks! These professional academic acolytes have nothing. Not one iota of truth at all. And they’re asking us to all buy into their claims and threaten us with doomsday forecasts if we don’t pay up. Al Gore makes millions pushing GARBAGE that has real impact on human lives.

Well I never drank the kool-aid.

I know a nut job when I see one and Al Gore is a nut job. He’s a very rich nut job right now, but I believe that will soon change. This bloviating narcissist who has delusions of godhood will soon be telling us the temps are going to go down, and then will rise again.

Katie bar the door oh the humanity… we are having … weather!!!!!!!!!

But in the meantime Obama and his merry men will tax us out of our quality of life, spend fortunes on con artists all over something we have nop control over at all.

Shame on any of you who bought into this. Your lust for money has shown you to be nothing but whores. Climate whores. You who said this would be a decade of the most volatile weather the planet has ever seen has been shown to be the most quiet series of hurricane seasons in my lifetime. We have had 2 major hurricanes in the last 5 years and none have hit populated areas. A few typhoons, but that’s it. These people said it was the Atlantic that would become a hurricane nursery of baby-boom proportions. The Atlantic is now exiting one of its calmest periods in the last 100 years. We barely had a rain storm come out of the Atlantic this year people!

Teresa said...

Awesome!!! You are going to meet Nickie Goomba. I must say I envy you since I would love to meet him as well. Be safe and have a great time!!

Anonymous said...

Teresa ... We have wrapped up. I am on my way, and he is on his. Wow. Better than even expected. I am blessed.

Opus #6 said...

DC, Nickie has that effect on people.

Anonymous said...

He brought Secretia to wait our table. That was a nice touch. Yes, he continues to surprise.